All Good Things...

My second job interview is tomorrow. It is with the Steel Company on Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood. They say there's parking without meters on the East side, on Corey. But they're just film aquisition & distribution people -- what do they know about parking?

Still, they had their hand in distributing Farenheit 9/11 overseas, so I suppose they can't be all bad. Beyond that, I don't know much about them. It's a temporary position, which will probably involve more data-entry than script-coverage, so I slacked on the research. I'm meeting someone named Tyler, and he's in charge of "aquisitions." Wendi tells me that it's a good company, and I'll meet a lot of important people, which is important.

Of course, what's more important, is if it pays >$10/hour, so I can cover my rent, my bills, food, and my gas, at almost $3/gallon...
If it weren't for my tax refund, a rebate from Office Max, and a donation from my mother, I'd be completely broke. My savings are all but exhausted.

Meanwhile, my last day at Niad is looming. The 15th. It's a rare thing: I don't want to leave. I'm not being paid, the work isn't a thrill, and sometimes tedious, but I've grown attached to the people. To Jennifer and Wendi. The spirit. I feel confortable around them. I like being around Jordan (age 3) and Sydney (age <1). I feel at home in the office, and it's barely been three months.

Hopefully, like all endings, this is a beginning. And unlike jobs hanging Christmas decorations, I pray that these three months will be more than a fascinating non-sequitor in my life.

This weekend I am going to write detailed notes on two client scripts, Riccione Five by Michael Lazarou, and The Prisoner by Adam Cozad. I am honored that Wendi holds my opinion on scripts as worthwhile. I am unusually positive and hopeful that she and/or Jennifer will take a liking to one or more of my screenplays, once they read them. I hope this feeling of tenative confidence does not subside. That I don't get sucker-punched.

Like my time at Niad, this sense of calm is comforting, and I am in no hurry to imagine or move on to unfamiliar, unfriendly futures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semi-Annual Exorcism

Pizza and Beer

Let Me Put This to You Simple...