Came West to Make my Fortune

It is a sad day when the job you accept has only one benefit, especially when that benefit is that the hours will make it easy for you to interview for other jobs.

Againt my better judgement, I've accepted a part-time, temporary, low-paying job in the accounting department of Sutton, Barth, & Vennari: Talent Agents. It will be an achievement if I can convince my brain to allocate enough memory to store those three names.

The job market is shit.

Months and dozens of interviews and it comes to this -- 9:00 to 1:00, 5 days a week, with 45 minutes driving either way. Which means, with gas prices, I might net two hours of pay a day. Which would make my take-home, at the end of the month, less than full-time minimum wage. Less than working at In-N-Out Burger. Not enough to pay the rent.

It's sometimes hard to remember why I left New York and almost $20 an hour and people I knew.

But given a chance, I still remember. I still remember...

I am most disappointed with this job because I wished for a tiny measure of stability. A job I could settle into. Settle some debt. Instead, it's yet another ugly, temporary step. If I'm still there in six months, it will be an absolute embarrassment. So, the beat goes on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semi-Annual Exorcism

Pizza and Beer

Let Me Put This to You Simple...